Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Dumas' du Vallon ~ or my stuffed turtle

Late at night
often you whisper
“Slow and steady wins the race.”
At times I heed this advice
but mostly I, like D’Artagnan,
rush toward a fray with little regard
for friend or foe alike.

Trusted wisdom carried on your back
springs forth all that is my world.
Knowledge of love & honor protects you.
Drink keeps you.

And though you never appear to have bested
legions of swordsmen when I crawl under covers,
I know, in my absence, great adventure
crests at your feet and welkins the blood to action.

But
hushed stardust
to my earnest inquiry
is all you ever yield.

And to my ear-
Riposte-
“Slow and steady wins the race.”
My first,
last,
and perpetual lesson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home