Monday, April 2, 2007

Untitled

When she smiles
I am reminded of the night
I rested my hand
On the small of her back.
Traveled up her spine
Fingers pressing past
The marked lack of bra-strap
Continuing
To the space behind her ears
As she lowered her head.

Once, she sat next to me
Slung her leg
Casually
Over my resting knees
And made the blood in my veins
Surrender to ash.

Reeds arise
From my arms
When the knock on my door
Is followed by
The request to uncork her bottle of red.
My taste
Distracted
By the hint of her toes
Through two repotted basil plants.

At night I imagine
Her black hair
Cascading
Over a neighboring empty pillow.
Her body
Wrapped in blankets
To fend off the frost
From the vent above her bed.
And I wonder whether
She knows that I leave my door
Slightly
Open
Were she ever to be in need
Of someone to keep her warm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home